Thursday, May 15, 2008

Comparing Solubility of Sugar in Water and Rubbing Alcohol

For my experiment I found the solubility of sugar in water and the solubility of sugar in rubbing alcohol. For the solubility of sugar in water, I first added 150g of sugar to 100mL because the theoretical solubility is 179.2g. After stirring the mixture for 2 minutes, there were still sugar crystals on the bottom of the beaker so I filtered the mixture. The experimental solubility of sugar in water was 134.5g.
For the solubility of sugar in rubbing alcohol, I couldn’t find the theoretical solubility. So, I first added 100g because of the solubility of sugar in water was over 100g. After stirring for 2 minutes, little to none of the sugar dissolved! When I finished filtering and decanting the mixture, I came to the conclusion that sugar is insoluble in rubbing alcohol.
There are many reasons why the solubilities of sugar in water and in rubbing alcohol are very different. The particles in water have less attractive forces for each other than for the particles of the sugar. Also, each water particle can hold many sugar particles, and rubbing alcohol particles can’t hold any. The rubbing alcohol particles have more attractive forces between each other than the sugar particles. The sugar particles stay in their lattice structure in rubbing alcohol because they have no attraction to the rubbing alcohol particles.

No comments: